Executive Director of the Bio-based Industries Joint Undertaking (AD 14)
Based in Brussels, the Bio-based Industries (BBI) Joint Undertaking is a public-private partnership (PPP) between the European Commission and the Bio-based Industry Consortium (BIC).
Its objective is to implement a research and innovation programme in Europe for the establishment of sustainable and competitive bio-based value chains. To achieve this, the BBI Joint Undertaking will organise competitive calls for proposals to support and facilitate research, innovation and deployment activities. These will be carried out through collaboration between stakeholders from the research community along the entire bio-based value chains, including primary production, processing industries and end-users.
The BBI Joint Undertaking is established until 31 December 2024 with a budget of € 3.7 billion for this period. Operating under Horizon 2020, it is driven by the Vision and Strategic Innovation and Research Agenda (SIRA) developed by BIC.
For more information please visit www.bbi-europe.eu
The Executive Director will lead and manage the Joint Undertaking and take overall responsibility for its operations, including budget implementation and the achievement of the Joint Undertaking's objectives. The Executive Director is the legal representative and public face of the BBI Joint Undertaking. He/She shall perform his/her tasks with independence and shall be accountable to the Governing Board.
- Establishing strategic contacts and negotiating all the necessary agreements with representatives of all the stakeholders and members of the JU;
- Organising and managing the launch of calls for proposals and the process of evaluating as well as negotiating and concluding grant agreements for selected proposals, ensuring subsequent periodic monitoring and follow-up of projects, preparing technical and financial reports;
- Preparing and executing the Annual Implementation Plan and the Annual Budget Plan of the JU. Elaborating the Annual Activity Report, the Annual Accounts and balance sheets for submission to the Governing Board for approval;
- Preparing and executing the JU budget and ensuring that it is managed efficiently in conformity with the Financial Regulations of the JU;
- Appointing and supervising the JU staff and fostering a good team spirit and working environment;
- Ensuring risk assessment and risk management and an effective and efficient internal control system;
- Running the communications and public relations aspects of the JU, including the organisation of presentation and dissemination events.
- Proven capacity to develop, communicate and execute a strategic vision;
- Abilities to generate ideas in promoting, programming and exploiting the results from the BBI Joint Undertaking;
- Grounded experience in the management of significant financial resources in a regional, national, European and/or international environment and involving funding from public sources;
- The ability to lead and motivate a team including both administrative and technical personnel in a European, multicultural and multilingual context;
- Proven knowledge of and working experience in the field of bioeconomy and its value chains;
- Knowledge of regional, national, intergovernmental and/or European research, development and innovation programmes;
- Experience in interacting with industry and knowledge of regulatory policy and practice relevant to the JU's fields of action;
- Capability to communicate effectively to the public and to build strategic working relations with all relevant stakeholders.
- Fluency in written and spoken English (the predominant working language in the JU is English).
Please consult the official vacancy notice for the detailed selection criteria: http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/FR/TXT/?uri=OJ:C:2014:299A:TOC.
Before submitting your application, you should carefully check whether you meet all the conditions for eligibility criteria, in particular those regarding the required type of diplomas and professional experience.
Registration for applicants:
Deadline for applications: 03/10/2014 at noon.