Dutch Biorefinery Cluster is an industrial cluster of biobased sectors and companies:
Avebe, Cosun, FrieslandCampina , Productschap Akkerbouw (arable products sector) , Royal VNP (paper and board industry) , Courage (dairy products sector) , Productschap Tuinbouw (horticultural sector). The Foundation is funded by its members and is independent of government.
The Dutch Biorefinery Cluster makes by combining knowledge, expertise, facilities and resources through open innovation is a leap forward in fully to bring value biomass.
For the partners in the Dutch Biorefinery Cluster is circular and CO2 neutral economy a logical step. Soil fertility and resource security by advanced recycling systems and reuse of nutrients is an essential foundation in these sectors. Moreover, they process for decades vegetable raw materials into valuable food and non-food products. But also it can even better in these sectors. This hitherto independent 'green' brands will produce in the growing bio-based economy several new products and thus get even more value from the materials. The chains will they intertwine with each other and jointly conclude further cycles. A number of leading companies in the agro-food sector and paper therefore decided to join forces.
The Dutch Biorefinery Cluster aims to initiate cross-company and cross-sectoral research in the Biobased Economy. Activities are focus around 5 themes:
- Close the mineral cycle - Conscious use and recycling of minerals
- Protein cascading - Mobilising proteins from by-streams
- Fibre cascading - Refinery and cascading of (ligno-) cellulose to individual biopolymers
- Chemical building blocks from plants - New technologies for production and isolation of special components from plants
- Water valorization - Transition of water cleaning to the isolation of added value components