Our vision is for a competitive, innovative and sustainable Europe: leading the transition towards a post-petroleum society while decoupling economic growth from resource depletion and environmental impact.
Together with pan-European and cross sector industries/SMEs, research organisations, universities, regions, and EU Member States, we will develop an economy that:
- sources domestic renewable raw materials
- produces food, feed, chemicals, materials and fuels locally
- creates jobs in a broad range of sectors in Europe, triggering rural growth across regions
- places sustainability, smart and efficient use of resources at the heart of industrial, business and social activities.
In this vision, the Bio-based Industries will optimise land use and food security through a sustainable, resource-efficient and largely waste-free utilisation of Europe’s renewable raw materials for industrial processing into a wide array of bio-based products:
- Advanced transportation fuels
- Food ingredients and feed
In doing so, bio-based industries will play an important role in spurring sustainable growth and boosting Europe’s competitiveness by re-industrialising and revitalising rural areas, thus providing tens of thousands of high-skilled research, development and production jobs over the next decade.
 Biofuel from waste, residue and non-food cellulosic material, Directive 2009/28/EC on the promotion of the use of renewable energy sources (Article 21(2)). This means that any R&D, demonstration and flagships in the PPP dedicated to biofuel production will be based on waste, residue and non-food cellulosic feedstock.