The Bio-based Industries Joint Undertaking (BBI JU) was officially established under EU Council Regulation No 560/2014 of 6 May 2014. It is an independent legal entity that manages the public-private partnership (PPP) between the European Commission and the Bio-based Industries Consortium (BIC).
BBI JU Governance
The Governing Board is the main decision-making body of the BBI JU. It is composed of five representatives from the European Commission and five representatives from BIC.
The Executive Director, supported by the Programme Office, is responsible for the day-today management of the BBI JU, supported by two advisory bodies, the States Representative Group and the Scientific Committee.
The BBI Programme Office is responsible for the implementation of open calls for proposals for research and innovation actions and innovation actions, as well as coordination and support actions, in line with the Horizon 2020 rules for participation. Any eligible institution may become a participant or a coordinator in the selected projects.
More information can be found on the BBI JU website
BBI JU Calls for proposals
The topics for the BBI JU Annual Work Plans are developed by the BIC Programming Working, following consultation of the two advisory bodies of the BBI JU, the States Representatives Group (SRG) and the Scientific Committee (SC), and agreement with the European Commission. The topics cover the 4 strategic orientations of the SIRA:
Strategic orientation 1: Feedstock
- Biomass diversification: ‘beyond lignocellulose’
- Resource efficiency: use ‘waste’ (various sources)
Strategic orientation 2: Process
- Keep ’complexity’ in biomass
- Novel microbial and enzymatic activities
Strategic orientation 3: Products
- New/additional functionality
- Novel, breakthrough bio-based products
- Protein and other high value products
- Bio-based fertilising products
- Value added lignin products
Strategic orientation 4: Market uptake
- ICT to improve efficiency of biomass supply chain
- Partnership with brand owners & consumer representatives
Detailed information can be found on the BBI JU website.