The Bio-based Industries Consortium (BIC) is a European non-profit organisation that brings together actors from different sectors and disciplines to establish a pan-European bio-based industry. As such, BIC represents the private sector in a public-private partnership (PPP) with the European Commission (Bio-based Industries JU under Horizon 2020 and in the proposed Circular Bio-based Europe JU under Horizon Europe).
BIC’s mission is to connect industry, academia, regions and society to transform bio-based feedstocks into novel sustainable products and applications, and to create circular bioeconomy ecosystems through investments, innovation and know-how. Its membership includes more than 240 industry members covering the full value chain, from primary producers to the market, across multiple and diverse sectors. These include agriculture & agri-food, aquaculture & marine, chemicals and materials, including bioplastics, forestry and pulp & paper, market actors, technology providers and waste management & treatment.
In the past few years, our organisation has gone through various developments in the bio-based sector. We have considerably expanded our services to our members and are currently adapting our staff structure to optimise these services as we head into the future. We are looking for a Communications Manager to join our team in Brussels. If you are looking for an opportunity to join a small, dynamic and international team and are willing to contribute to the shaping of the bio-based economy, we would like to hear from you!
As our Communications Manager, you will coordinate BIC communications activities and support the team and our activities on communication and stakeholder-related work. In this role, you should be an excellent communicator with a strong (social) media experience. Ultimately, your goal will be to help ensure clear communication of BIC’s message across all channels. You will also coordinate our stakeholder relations, such as contacts with other European and national organisations, regions, investors, NGOs, journalists, and other stakeholders having an impact on the bio-based economy.
Key responsibilities supporting BIC’s communications strategy
• Develop and execute an integrated communications plan supporting the implementation of the different activities of BIC’s business plan. Define key performance indicators for each communication campaign and channel.
• Enhance BIC’s media presence by developing, coordinating and (co-)writing high quality media outputs, including press releases, op-eds, speaking points and briefing notes.
• Ensure consistent messaging and use of BIC visual identity by editing, producing and disseminating communication materials and publications (e.g. brochures, annual report, studies, PowerPoint presentations, etc.).
• Support engagement with members by writing and delivering the member’s (bi-weekly) newsletter (in collaboration with the BIC staff).
• Enhance engagement with stakeholders by organising, together with BIC staff, internal and external events (e.g. networking events and webinars).
• Drive targeted, relevant, and timely communications through an efficient channel utilisation and mix (e.g. social media, website, press releases, articles, etc.) to support our position as an innovative, sustainable and competitive industry.
• Support the BIC team by maintaining and expanding existing & establishing new stakeholder relationships (European and national organisations, regions, investors, NGOs, journalists, etc.).
• Represent and present our organisation at events and conference.
• University degree in journalism, communications, political sciences or a related field.
• Minimum 3-5 years’ experience of executing/leading communications campaigns including digital communications, with an existing media network (e.g. journalists, news agencies, etc. ).
• Fully proficient using MS office and good understanding of social media channels and digital media strategies.
• Native level English (written and oral) or equivalent, additional European languages are an asset.
• Solid editing and proofreading skills, excellent oral and written communication abilities.
• Organisational skills, excellent time management and ability to meet deadlines and take ownership of responsibilities.
What can we offer
• The opportunity to work in an international organisation with a dynamic and diverse team.
• A full-time employment contract with an unlimited duration under Belgian law.
• Teleworking (1 day/week) is possible
• Competitive salary in line with skill levels and experience, plus a package of benefits in a vibrant, meaningful and empowered working environment.
Location : Offices at Square de Meeûs (Brussels)
Please submit in one pdf file a cover letter outlining your motivation, relevant skills, experience and starting availability for the position, together with your CV and supporting documents that you consider relevant to BIC’s Executive Director firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 31 October 2021.
In case you have any questions, you may contact Dirk Carrez via email@example.com.
Starting date: to be agreed