Bio Base Europe Pilot Plant (BBEPP) in Ghent, Belgium is an independent, state-of-the-art facility that operates from a laboratory level to a multi-ton scale. Bio Base Europe Pilot Plant is a service provider for process development, scale-up and custom manufacturing of biobased products and processes. A wide and flexible spectrum of modular unit operations enables us to translate your biobased lab protocol into a viable industrial process.
Bio Base Europe Pilot Plant enables the conversion of biomass (a.o. agricultural crops and by-products, industrial side streams) into biochemicals, biomaterials, biofuels and other bioproducts.
Bio Base Europe Pilot Plant is a one-stop-shop that performs the full process in a single plant, from the biomass green resource up to the final bioproduct. It is an independent open innovation pilot plant and is accessible for companies and research institutions throughout the world. The core business of Bio Base Europe Pilot Plant is facilitating and speeding up biobased innovations in full confidentiality with clients
BBEPP is also active in networking projects with the aim to bring about new bio-based value-chains (Enterprise Flanders projects).
In June 2017, ERDF Flanders and Bio Base Europe Pilot Plant signed an agreement for an investment of €9,36 million within the framework of the IMPACT project. This investment is used to build up new research infrastructure specifically for gas fermentation and Down-Stream Processing and is financed by the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF), Flanders, the Province of East-Flanders, the City of Ghent and the Bio Base Europe Pilot Plant.
Along with private, bilateral projects, Bio Base Europe Pilot Plant is involved in many consortium-based projects, including several BBI JU projects:
- AFTERLIFE Advanced Filtration TEchnologies for the Recovery and Later conversIon of relevant Fractions from wastEwater
- CARBOSURF New processes for the fermentative production of glycolipid biosurfactants and sialylated carbohydrates.
- DEMETERDemonstrating more efficient enzyme production to increase biogas yields
- PULP2VALUEPULP2VALUE Processing Underutilised Low value sugar beet Pulp into VALUE added products
- ReSolveReSolve REnewable SOLVEnts with high performance in application and improved toxicity profile