Cepsa (Compañía Española de Petróleos, S.A.U.) is an integrated energy company operating at every stage of the oil value chain, with more than 10,000 employees. It is engaged in petroleum and natural gas exploration and production activities; refining, the transport and sale of crude oil derivatives; petrochemicals, gas and electricity. Cepsa has operated in the energy sector since 1929, when it was set up as the first private oil company in Spain.
CEPSA is strongly commited to the environment and has been a pioneer in some development for biofuels production. CEPSA produces Hydroteated Vegetable Oil and ETBE as biocomponents for biofuels.
R&D activities address the following topics:
- Upstream: Enhanced Oil Recovery, Tracers, Production Assurance
- Downstream: Catalyst design, testing and monitoring; Lubricants; Bitumen; Hydrocracking, FCC and Hydrotreating
- Petrochemicals: Phenol, surfactants and ftalic/isoftalic acids
- Diesel production from microalgae grown using refinery effluents containing CO2 and nutrients.
- Vegetable Oil Hydrotreating and blending into de Diesel Pool
- 2nd Generation Bio-Jet from non-edible vegetable oils
- Biofuel from lignocellulosic biomass