Metsä Fibre, which is part of Metsä Group, is building a new bioproduct mill in Äänekoski in Central Finland. Metsä Group’s €1.2 billion bioproduct mill is one of the most significant bioeconomy investments in the EU since the start of BBI JU. Construction began in 2015 and the mill will come online in Q3 2017.
THE NEXT-GENERATION BIOPRODUCT MILL
“The bioproduct mill is a prime example of Metsä Group’s and the Finnish forest industry’s vitality and ability to renew. We are resolutely progressing towards the autumn of 2017, when the bioproduct mill begins operations,” Kari Jordan, President and CEO of Metsä Group.
Build the world’s first next-generation bioproduct mill to produce a broad range of products, manufactured by a unique ecosystem of companies.
- When fully operational, the mill will create 2,500 jobs across the value chain, from the forest to the delivery of products, including 1,500 entirely new jobs.
- The mill is expected to purchase raw materials and services worth €0.5 billion per year and increase the annual value of Finnish exports by €0.5 billion.
- Environmental benefits will include reduced fresh water use per ton of pulp produced, improved energy efficiency, total independence from fossil energy, lower emissions to the air, and on-site production of key chemicals using mill waste streams, thus promoting waste reduction and recycling.
- The core mill investment of €1.2 billion will enable new bio-based value chains to be established and new bioproducts, using the core mill as a platform. To date, three such new value chains/bioproducts have already been announced.
- High-quality pulps
- Tall oil and turpentine
- Bioenergy products
- Biomass heat-led district energy plant
- Resins and Coatings